Tuesday, January 22, 2013

2013 Resolution: Cook More!!


It was one of those days where I just didn't feel like leaving the house again, especially to battle the grocery store. (Tell me you don't have any of those kinds of days....) But it was a good day to actually cook, since we were all home together without any evening activities.

So there I am doing the thing I holler at the kids for doing....standing with both the freezer and the fridge door wide open, just staring....hmmmm...what do I have in here that I can cook?

Shrimp! I have shrimp! ..and sundried tomatoes (recently found how yummy these are! Super delish on sandwiches...) ...and surely I have some pasta.... (hurdle over Ohso who thinks the best place to park herself is in the middle of wherever I am...)...stare into pantry.....YES! I have pasta! Perfect!

Grab fancy new iPad I got for Christmas, google search: Shrimp sundried tomato pasta.....and BOOM!!

Found this great recipe...that had me at "EASY".

SPICY SHRIMP and SUN-DRIED TOMATO PASTA
Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
  • 4 large shallots, sliced
  • 3/4 cup sliced drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup sliced pitted Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives
  • 6 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
  • 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 12-ounce package linguine
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preparation

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté until pink, about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to medium bowl. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to same pot. Add shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, garlic, lemon peel, and crushed red pepper. Sauté until shallots are soft, about 4 minutes. Add canned tomatoes and simmer until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Mix in basil. Return shrimp and any juices to sauce; stir to heat through, about 1 minute.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until tender, but still firm to bite. Drain. Add pasta to sauce. Toss over medium heat until sauce coats pasta. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; top with cheese

Find the complete Recipe and Reviews on Epicurious!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was, in fact, relatively easy. I made a few minor mistakes...er...changes.

I sauteed the shrimp with the olive oil AND the garlic. Just seemed like the more appropriate thing to do. The sauce was a little spicy...ok for grown ups, but the kids did not like it at all. Maybe a little less red pepper flakes next time? And I didn't have any shallots, or olives and feta cheese (which I don't like anyway), so I just skipped those parts. :)  ....and ok, truth be told, I didn't have any canned diced tomatoes technically...so I used Ro-tel!

Other than that...it was YUMMY!!! ..and most importantly EASY! I think it was relatively healthy as well? Worst part was probably just the pasta. Was going to start go with our whole wheat pasta but didn't have enough for everyone, so ended up using a package of bowtie that was in the pantry.


No comments: