Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Confirmation

Sometimes as a parent, I wonder if my kids actually enjoy some of the craziness I sign them up for. (Grammar police, please excuse the proposition at the end of the sentence.)

Take tackle football for instance. You know there is football in our blood, but you never know if the kids are going to take to it and really enjoy it...or would they just tolerate it and do it because they think we want them to do it. I don't want to be one of THOSE moms that makes their kids do something they really don't enjoy.


When we first approached Shay with the idea of signing up for tackle football this fall, he was a little hesitant in that he wasn't sure how it was going to feel getting hit and tackled. Between some parental persuasion and peer pressure, he agreed to sign up. Our approach has always been: give it a try and if you really don't like it, you don't have to sign up for the next season.


After the first practice in full pads and through the first couple of games, you could see the progression going through Shay's head like "wow...that still kinda hurts even with pads on" then onto "I'm gonna blow this kid off the block! Take THAT!"


And last night at practice, Coach Hanna handed out official Falcon playbooks to the kids. And completely unprompted, this was the scene at breakfast this morning:

I almost burst into tears. Studying his playbook over breakfast. I love football season. And even way more than that, I love my kid.
Happy Birthday Shay!

3 comments: