Thursday, May 15, 2008

Get Back on the Horse

My revised plan was to just take yesterday off. Following my bonk debacle, I really was not looking forward to doing anything....and then I got a message from Wiley..

"You need to run today?"
"Need?"

ugh.

After much back and forth, I finally succumbed and agreed to meet him for a 7-mile loop around Lady Bird Lake at high noon. I said I wanted to go easy...but of course my easy is pretty much walking for Wiley, so he said HE would go easy, I would go MODERATE. 8:15 - 8:30 pace.

Well, shit. Alright. Dammit.

I was really nervous. What if my legs still felt like crap? What if I wasn't feeling it AGAIN? Wiley said bring an extra Gu in case the Bonk Monster shows up. Ugh.

Alright, alright, alright.

And to be sure it wasn't nutrition, I loaded up on 550 calories between breakfast and about an hour before we started. Turns out that might have been a bit too much. Needed emergency pit stop at mile 4.

Other than that, however, the run was great! Hot, Humid....but great! Wiley is an awesome running partner....he talks, sings and raps the whole time! I only needed to chime in every now and then, but he would just keep going for the most part.

Around mile 5 or so, Wiley started looking down at my ankle...and I said, "what is it?" thinking there was some creepy, crawly thing on me. "Nope, not there." "What isn't there?" I asked. "The Bonk Monster." Indeed, he was gone. Good Riddance to you I say!

We ended up at an 8:19/M pace. Precisely where we wanted to be.

Thanks Wiley for dragging me out there. It was good to get back on the horse!!

No comments: