Thursday, March 20, 2008

Why Visual Aids Work

Tomorrow, Shay is off from school. AGAIN. I know...I KNOW!

So, this morning I told him that one of the things we really needed to take care of tomorrow is a trip to the grocery store. Here's how the conversation proceeded:

Shay: "I have an idea. Why don't you go by yourself today while I'm at school?"
Mommy: "Interesting idea. Thanks for offering that up. I tell you what, I'll go today by myself, but I'll only get the things on the list that are for me?"
Shay: "Well, ok."
Mommy: "Ok, let's review the list together and you mark off the things that are for you and whatever's left I will get, alright?"
Shay: "ok."

We get out list and I give Shay a red pen.
Shay: "bread - you or me?"
Mommy: "what do you have in your lunchbox everyday?"
Shay: "a bologna sandwich." Shay marks through bread with red pen.
Shay: "grapes, celery and apples - you or me?"
Mommy: "what do you have in your lunchbox everyday?"
Shay: "grapes or celery or apples." Shay marks through with red pen.
Shay: "turkey breast - you or me?"
Mommy: "when you don't have bologna in your lunch box, what do you have?"
Shay: "turkey breast." Shay marks through with red pen.
Shay: "waffles?"
Mommy: "what do you eat for breakfast on the weekends?" Shay marks.
Shay: "juice boxes, cheese cubes, go tarts, goldfish?" Mark, mark, mark, mark.

Mommy: "what's left for me to get at the store today?"
Shay: "Yogurt and diced peaches for Devon and dog food for the dogs."

Mommy: " "
Shay: " "
Mommy: " "
Shay: "maybe we should go to the store tomorrow together."
Mommy: "That's a great idea!!"

No comments: