Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tuesday Quality Run

So, yesterday was the first quality run of the new season. We headed out from J&A's and shot over to the AHS track.

Finally, we had some nice weather and I think everyone was anxious to get the party started. On tap, 4-6 800's at 10k pace with 200M recoveries. Ready. Go.

But let's back up a sec...in effort to NOT sandbag or lollygag this year (many thanks to those of you who have called me out on this. you know who you are. no really. thanks.), I've been trying to figure out what my goal pace for training should be.

Here's what I've been perusing....

So, if I take my best running race from the winter, that would be my 3M race, time of 1:41...which is a 7:03 5k pace and a 7:18 10k pace as my goal paces for quality run workouts. (Compared to my 10k pace of 7:42 that I trained at for the marathon.) According to Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible (I heard it was a good reference) as a rough estimate you lose 5% speed on your run pace in a triathlon. Therefore, my triathlon run pace goal would be 7:24. My best triathlon run pace last year was 7:37. So that's over a 20% increase in speed over last year, right? That seems like a reasonable improvement, right?

However, it was pointed out that this pace is in fact a "Date pace" and not a goal pace per se. So please weigh in either via comment or the poll in the right hand column and let me know what y'all think about goal pace setting. PLEASE!!! All input is needed and welcomed! :)

Nonetheless, I did yesterday's workout at a 7:18 pace and it kicked my ass. I did 6. (Rule for this season: do the upper bound, puke, fall\injure myself, or call on account of darkness -- whichever comes first.)

I haven't worked that hard running in awhile. phew. So, I figured if it was a 7:18/M, then my 800's should be 3:39, right? (If my math is wrong, someone please tell me...). Here's how it went down:

1 - 3:36 (recovery: 1:12)
2 - 3:38 (1:16)
3 - 3:39 (1:21)
4 - 3:39 (1:26)
5 - 3:43 (1:13) -- was dying here..ended up walking the recovery but only walked 100m
6 - 3:32

Afterwards, I felt a little queasy. We had no water at the workout (thanks Panther!) and I definitely could've used some right then. But I pulled myself together and walked back to the group. (After all, Texas Iron was working out there also....had to look decent!).

When I got back around, I saw Erin with this look on her face. She said, "I should've done 6 shouldn't I?" I just looked back at her quietly with a look that I hope said "are you really asking that question?" and instead simply said, "I'll wait." I posted up as the others took off on the return trip home and she set off for her last set. YES! Atta girl.

We took the long way back at a nice pace. My legs felt good and tired. Just as they should.

3 comments:

MikeW said...

Answer this question: Are you partaking or racing the triathlons you're training for??
You're doing yourself a disservice if you train at a slower pace.
I think you should train at a 7% faster than goal pace (per a book i'm reading).
It's not supposed to be easy.
Who cares if your "in the triathlon" pace will be slower. Train faster. Faster makes you faster. Slower makes you ordinary.
Who the hell wants to be ordinary? That's not why you race, that's why you'd partake.

Dionn said...

Not training at a slower pace...but finding the equivalent run pace when your run is at the end of a triathlon versus just a run. The 5% gives you an equivalent triathlon run pace.

Whatever run pace I train at...the triathlon run goal pace will be 5% slower. But all my run training will take place at my run goal pace.

If I had a specific triathlon run goal pace in mind, I would find the equivalent run pace (5% faster) and train at that pace. Make sense?

Just depends on which number you want to start with...

Mark said...

All methods of picking a 'goal pace' boil down to your Poll option d). The ones with percentage's in them just "look" more scientific (but you're picking the % out of your a$$). Some thresholds are "recognized", defined or otherwise "given to you" (BQ, NYC marathon Qualifier time, ?). Others might be clock-based "threshold" times from one distance (sub-20 5K, 42 10K, a 1:35 half mary, ... whatever you have you sights set on). A 'date pace' from a "downhill half mary" might indeed be a good 'goal pace' for the other less generous race courses.

And it might be a moving target. Each (stand alone run) race, or each 2-mile (run) TT, gives you a McMillan grid for all road race distances. You might notice one of the times for one of the distances is tantalizingly close to one of those time-thresholds (sub-20 5K, whatever ...) and that "tantalizingly close" becomes the goal pace from the date pace that you plugged in ...

Goal setting isn't easy! :( You want something challenging to achieve, yet not too simple to not be a challenge, yet not too hard to be discouraging (oops, that didn't help any did it!)

As you are in the rarified atmosphere of eyeing AG placings, yes, analyzing results from last years races gives you a good idea of what podium placing girls ran. However, in multisports events that isn't so straightforward with each person having different relative strengths and weaknesses in the different sports.

Heehee, but if what you've picked is manageable, but hard, without being discouraging to the point of not enjoying the workout, or dreading lacing up the shoes, then it seems to me like you've picked well!

Don't stick to the same goal pace all season, adjust quicker as necessary. And puking isn't a reason to stop, just to pause and wipe :)