Monday, March 24, 2008

An Actual Swim Workout...GASP!

Today, I ventured over to Courtyard to checkout the swim workout put on by T3.

I must say, it has been quite sometime since I actually did a group swim workout...I mean seriously...probably since the middle of last summer. And I'd forgotten how much I really enjoy it!!

I introduced myself to the coach, Maurice and he said, "Oh yea...I've seen you around at races." I'm not quite sure how to take that...but you figure there are only 4 of us in Austin. And by us I mean black female triathletes. And yes, we all know each other. It's a very elite group! ;)

And since I was wearing my Stanford cap (sporting the colors this week -- GO STANFORD!), he asked, "so -- did you go to Stanford?" "Well, yes, I did," I replied. "Well, I swam at Texas." And then there was the awkward moment of silence...because you know Stanford and Texas are BIG TIME rivals in swimming.

"But now that we're out of school, I'm actually good friends with the guys from Stanford." And with that I knew it would be safe to enter the water. ;)

It was a great workout. Got foot cramps and everything. Ahhh....good times.

All in all, I swam 2700yds.
Started with a warm up and drills. Followed that with something like:
300 - swim @80% effort - 30sec recovery
200 - swim @85% effort- 30sec recovery
100 - swim @ 90% effort- 30sec recovery

300 - pull @ 80%- 30sec recovery
200 - pull @85%- 30sec recovery
100 - pull@ 90%- 30sec recovery

400 - kick w/fins @80%- 30sec recovery
300- kick w/fins @85%- 30sec recovery
200- kick w/fins @90%- 30sec recovery

Then 4X100 with swim and drills and a cool down.

I think I held my own within the group as at the end of the first swim set Maurice said, "Hey..I didn't realize you were that fast...next time we'll have to move you over a lane." (Yea for me!!) "So, what's your pace like in a race?" I responded, "Somewhere between 1:40 and 1:50." He gave me the "hmmm...interesting.." head nod. I'm hoping that means, "yes, I can work with this one."

I'm thinking I'm going to sign up for their swim program. This was there will be NO LOLLYGAGGING in the swim. YAY!

1 comment:

MikeW said...

I think what he meant was: "Hmmm.. had she swum for Texas and not Stanford, she'd be a 1:30-1:40 race pacer. I'll see if I can make her better, as I'm from UT, and our swimming is much better."