Thursday, February 7, 2008

He has WHAT?!

Yep...CHICKEN POX!

Can you believe it? The freakin' chicken pox.

Yes, he had the vaccination when he was younger. But APPARENTLY, the CDC is now recommending a booster for 5-6 year-olds because they are seeing a mild breakout of the chicken pox in kids who received only one round of the vaccination. 30% apparently.

We would be in that 30%. oy.

Fortunately, it is very, very mild. Not like back in the day when we had it. I remember having it so bad, I was either soaking in a tub with baking soda or knocked out asleep on Benadryl for TWO WEEKS so I wouldn't itch.

So aside from a bunch of little red bumps, he's fine. (Yes, yes..that's what he said...) No fever or achiness. In fact, this may be more challenging because it is hard to keep a fiesty, spirited 7-year old contained in the house!!!

So now that I didn't do ANY work for the past three days because Shay had no school due to teacher inservice...here's one to two MORE days of no working. Thank god my work is flexible. I really feel for the folks who can't be as flexible with their work schedules.

For good measure the Devonator is staying home with us today too. The more the merrier I always say. (And the Doc said Devon should be ok since he was very recently vaccinated...) At least Shay will have a playmate other than me....even though Devon sometimes drives him up a wall. Ahhh...little brothers...gotta love it!


Ah, rats...just found out from his teacher that Shay is missing the big 100th day of school celebration today. They've been preparing for the past couple of weeks for all the activities, parade and party today. I just broke the news to him. Tears welled up in his eyes and his lips started quivering. He's trying to be brave, but he is very sad. I think I'm going to give him some extra Wii time today.....poor baby. :(

5 comments:

Kris said...

Poor little guy. I hope he gets to feeling better soon. As for work, well, there's always midnight to 5 a.m., right? Ugh! Sorry about that.

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lulu said...

Oh no!!!!!!

Shorey said...

I remember when moms were encouraged to expose all their kids to the one with the pox. I never quite understood that, but I guess the thought was that eventually they'd all get it anyway. Hope he gets better soon.

Suellen said...

When Melanie had chicken pox (no vaccine back then) she was 4, and had like 4 bumps and a low grade fever. Josh was 3 years older and since she wasn't that sick decided to play with her A LOT so he could catch it and stay home from school. Well, you guessed it, he got the worst case of chicken pox I have ever seen!!! Aveeno baths and benadryl and calamine, you name it...the kid was miserable. Fortunately his baby shouldn't ever have to deal with that.