Friday, January 25, 2008

What does it all mean??

Yesterday, I had a surprised-filled day. I connected with not ONE but TWO friends I hadn't heard or seen in years!!

First, I ran into Paige Walcott (well, that's her maiden name at any rate)...an old, old friend of mine from 6th grade! (Yes, she was in Shorey and my elementary school!) Paige and I had been through many adventures from Bobbie Rider's 6th grade class, to Porter Junior High Cheerleaders, to Johnston High Freshman Tumblers to Varsity Cheerleaders. We've lost touch since graduation, but the minute I walked into Chipotle I recognized her in an instant! She looks exactly the same..cute button nose, freckles and all smiles. We chatted for a bit and am looking forward to catching up even more at our reunion this fall.

Then, I was working in my office (yes, I actually work from time to time...STFU) and I received a call listed as Private. I went ahead and answered and to my surprise it was my good friend Leah! Leah and I met when we were Warrior Girls back in the early 90's. (I had AWESOME big hair back then!)

It is funny that we ended up to be such great friends because theoretically we should've been arch rivals. Me and Stanford student, her--Berkeley. But more importantly, when we auditioned for the team, we essentially were vying for the same spot. (Most pro dance teams usually try to have not just awesome dancers, but basically something for everyone in terms of looks, you know? sad, but true.) We're both about the same height, same skin tone (she's bi-racial, I'm just, well, light), long hair. Both gymnasts. The list goes on and on. The first time we met it was like one of those, look them up and down, size them up kind of a moment and we both were like, shit -- I'm looking at a freakin mirror! Fortunately for us, there was room on the team for the two of us and what could've been the beginning of a lifelong rivalry turned into a lifelong friendship.

We have since been bridesmaids in each other's weddings, travelled together with our families (we took an awesome vacation to Atlantis -- that place freakin' rocks!), hung out in California and Texas at each other's homes and been confidants and sounding boards to each other ever since. I love her like a sister, you know?

And she's the kind of friend that even if we don't speak for months, when we do see each other, it is like a day hasn't gone by in between. It's awesome.

And then I got the word that a friend's father passed away after a long battle and I thought about how truly precious everyday and every person is.

And then I received the following quote which was a devotional message that Coach Bear Bryant kept in his wallet:

"This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving something in its place I have traded for it. I want it to be a gain, not loss -- good, not evil. Success, not failure in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it."

Connections with old friends, passing of love ones, reminders of the importance of each day.... I swear, someone is trying to tell me something.....

1 comment:

Katie said...

That's a fantastic quote! Thanks for sharing...I guess I should go do my homework now;-)