Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Sh*t My Knee

If you've ever done any vocal or choral work, you are probably familiar with the Bumble Bee Vocal Warm up. Which is very nice and sweet where you sing the words:

Bumble Bee Bumble Bee Bumble Bee Bumble Bee
Bee Bee Bumble Bee Bee Bumble Bee Bee Bumble Bumble Bee

over the following notes of the major scales:
1 3 2 4 3 5 4 6 5 7 6 8 7 9 8 10 8 9 7 8 6 7 5 6 4 5 3 4 2 1

like this:
Bum (1) ble(3) Be(2) e(4) Bum (3) ble(5) Be(4) e(6) and so on..

(Go ahead..try it..it's really fun and a great exercise...you'll be ready to sing or talk for hours!)

When I got to college, we added on the fun variation of "Shit my Knee" to the same tune.

Anyway, I've been singing "Shit my Knee, Shit my Knee, Shit my Knee, Shit my Knee, Shit my Knee, Shit my Knee, Shit my Knee, Shit my Knee" every time I walk or especially go upstairs since Sunday's 20-miler. It totally blows. But afterwards I've been belting out some GREAT holiday tunes like "Santa, baby" and "All I Want For Christmas". :)

So I took Monday off and yesterday I swam instead of Blue Thunder Fartlek workout. I've been icing and taking anti-inflammatories since Sunday and I think it is starting to feel better! YEA!!!!

I'm not sure what workout I'll do today, most likely will not be running. Maybe I'll clip in and ride so I can get the knee moving but without the pounding pressure of running..

Nonetheless, it felt good to get in the water and just swim. I don't know about you, but I hate drills. I would just rather swim and swim and swim. And nothing like a little knee pain to make sure you are kicking from the hips and not from the knee!

Since I was trying to rest my knee, I tried to kick as little as possible..effectively just pulling the whole time and really working on swimming downhill (pressing your chest down, so your back end floats nicely -- and that is quite the effort when you have alot to float back there...) and front quadrant swimming.

Here are my paces:
1st 500 yards: 8:13 (oops..gotta a little excited about being in the water)
2nd 500: 8:38
3rd 500: 8:35
4th 500: 8:37
5th 500: 8:21

Is it tri season yet???

2 comments:

Mark said...

Ouch, sorry to hear about the knee, but at least you put it to music, even if you can't dance to the beat on a bad knee:(

Nice swim splits!

MikeW said...

cuidado con la rodilla