Monday, December 10, 2007

18....I'm Legal!

What a weekend! People breaking down personal records and challenges all across the state.... freakin AWESOME!

Lulu kicked major ass at Sunmart on Saturday...that's 50k...on trails....in under 6 hours. Yep, that's what I said. She, people, is Ultra Hard Core...DO NOT MESS!

Wiley spanked the hell out of White Rock...that's 26.2 the hard way...in 3:21. Yep, that's what I said..... top 7% = Bad ASS!

Some people may call them crazy....I say AMAZING! You hear time and time again about the benefits of athletic pursuits, both team and personal....but when you get the chance to experience it up close, either yourself or someone close to you, it is truly inspiring and transcends to many aspects of your life.

Sometimes we train to get somewhere, sometimes we train to get away from somewhere, and sometimes we train so we can prove to ourselves, Yes, I can.

This weekend, I also busted my own personal record, while it pales in comparison to 50k and 26.2M, it was nonetheless quite a milestone for me. My first 18 miles!!!! WOO HOO! It is (so far) the LONGEST distance I've EVER RUN! (That's just fun to say...I'm gonna say it again.) It is the LONGEST distance I've EVER RUN!

And let me just say that it wasn't just 18 miles, it was a BRUTAL, HILLACIOUS 18 miles! (Well, actually it was really just the first 10-12 miles that were really, really, really hilly....) And by hillacious, I don't mean gentle rollers, I mean Ladera Norte! OMG!

It's probably a good thing I didn't look at the trip ticket and just headed out because I'm not sure if I would've shown up to run!

Fortunately, I was joined by my partners in crime Nick, Michael and Jonathan. (Rabbit was getting ready to go kick ass at Whiterock!). And per usual, Nick and Jonathan kept up great banter and the miles just seem to click by.

Even though the schedule said MGP, we all quite quickly decided that there was no freakin' way that was going to happen on this hilly route, so we just settled into a nice, easy long run pace. The hills were hard as hell and I am happy to report that I ran every single one! Yes, including Ladera Norte! Although I'm quite sure I could've walked and have gone just as fast, if not faster up that damn thing. And BIG THANKS to the Rogue water stop at the top of that hill and the runners who were resting there...because I gotta tell ya, if it weren't for y'all standing up there staring at me and encouraging me on as I battled the hill and my desire to just stop and walk....I totally would've stopped running.

And let me just apologize if I offended anyone when I got to the top and exclaimed "Son of a BITCH!" It was out of my mouth before I had time to filter anything....I was just so glad to be at the top of that monster! But the view is GORGEOUS from up there...holy cow.

The remaining 8 miles after that were a breeze! Even when we got lost with Coach Karen and probably added some distance, I didn't stress. I was feeling good. I've figured out my breakfast issue (didn't have to pit stop at ALL!) and my in-race nutrition, I think. In fact, at mile 17, Nick and I were able to pick up the pace and pick off several people on our way in to the finish!

My left knee is a little achy (but it was sore back on Wednesday anyway) and my right quad is a little tight, but other than that, I feel great!

What a weekend....what....a....weekend.

2 comments:

Shorey said...

I am equallly inspired by Lulu, Wiley, and YOU! What a great weekend, indeed.

Lulu said...

Kick ass Dionn!! That is a great accomplishment. You are going to be nailing your own marathon (or maybe Ultra) so soon!