Thursday, October 25, 2007

Viva Tha Fevah

What gorgeous weather we've been having of late. While I am a tropical people, I do enjoy the fall...Texas style, at any rate.

Yesterday was PERFECT for an easy ride through the countryside. Or, at least that was the plan. And you know how those plans go.....

Met Panther out in Cedar Park in the morning for the nice and easy 35-mile Cedar Park Fever route. The sun was shining, it wasn't hot...in fact, I was even wearing sleeves under my jersey, and after a delayed start (per usual), we turned on to Lakeline Blvd to start our ride when....HOLY HANNAH!....can you say WIND???

I mean...good grief! I kid you not when I tell you it took us about an hour to ride 10 miles. Turns out the first 10-15 miles of Tha Fevah is all uphill. Seriously. And no matter which way the road turned we had a vicious, vicious head wind.

It was hard and not at all the easy 35miler we had intended, but actually quite comical. At one point, Panther and I were both just cracking up, pedaling hard uphill at a blistering 11mph. We just kept telling each other at the next turn we should be getting a tail wind. Then we'd turn and it would just be a wicked cross wind! Several times me and my little tri bike where blown sideways and I literally had to lean sideways into the wind to keep upright! We would just laugh some more and say, Hell...at least we're not working, how bad can it be??

It was a total adventure and I loved every minute of it. We got to see some great scenic views, ride through and with some crazy construction and big rigs, look for a road on the route that no longer exists (I swear...they must have blown up the road or something), startle a goat...or was it a jackalope, we're not sure.....get harassed by a tee tiny midget dog, see five gloves and two lawn chairs. Couldn't have asked for more!

Afterwards we threw back some Margaritas, beers, several bowls of chips, salsa and jalepeno ranch dressing and other yummy things at Chuy's and shot the breeze under a beautiful, sunny (but freakin windy as all hell) sky in Austin.

Pretty damn cool. Thanks Panther. Thanks Austin.

No comments: