Friday, October 19, 2007

Valuation

As many of you know, I've been contemplating becoming a "Lady of Leisure". What that really means is NOT pursuing a regular, in the office, full-time job right now. I know that I am EXTREMELY fortunate to even have the opportunity to make a decision and I am exceptionally grateful for that.

And while it sounds really fun, for someone who has always (right or wrong) valued a signficant portion of my success by the size of my W-2, it has been quite the internal wrestling match.

But today, I had a breakthrough! At the beginning of the school year, I signed up to volunteer in Shay's classroom for Math centers. (Yes... a black woman who does math...craziness, I know..). What that means is that I will just be helping out the teacher when she breaks the kids into smaller groups to do some sort of math-related activity. And TODAY was my first shift.

This morning as we were getting ready for school and Shay found out that we were going to be driving in (instead of riding our bikes per usual) he wanted to know why. I told him I was going to come and help out in the classroom today. He got this HUGE smile on his face and asked what we were going to be doing. I told him I didn't know for sure, but we'd find out when we got there. He gave me another big goofy grin (he's missing a front tooth, so it's that super cute 7-year old crazy teeth kinda smile...), rolled his eyes in that I'm-really-excited-but-need-to-act-like-I'm-not-so-I-can-be-cool kinda way and went skipping off to tell Devon how mommy was coming to his classroom today.

When I arrived in the class, Shay's teacher, Mrs. Hedges let the kids know that Shay's mom was going to be helping out today. All the kids looked at me, then at Shay...and Shay smiled proudly back at me and I swear puffed his chest just a little bit.

A great time was had by all as we played "Allowance" (think an easier version of Monopoly) and ALSO were super suprised when Shay yelled out "Mrs. Hedges, LOOK! The butterfly is emerging from its chrysalis!" And sure enough, this BEAUTIFUL monarch butterfly emerged from its chrysalis that was hanging on a plant in the classroom. (Pics to follow...) Over the course of the next 30 minutes or so, the butterfly dried its wings, dropped some meconium (just pigment..it happens to every butterfly) and began looking like it was ready to take flight. So after we had finished the game, Mrs. Hedges put the butterfly in a small net and the class marched (single file, hands behind their backs, quietly) outside to release the butterfly into the wild. It was really, really cool.

All in all, the morning was definitely better than any digits or comma's on my W-2. I think I'm starting to get it...

1 comment:

MikeW said...

sounds fun.

If you ever need to attend some crappy conference calls with unhappy customers, let me know. you can dial-in and be silent.

just don't want you to lose touch with the "real" world!