Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Problem Solving from the Devonator


My 2.5 year old, Devon aka the Tank aka the Devonator (at this age he is currently weighing in around 40 pounds...about the size of the average 4 year old...) had a little surprise for me....


We are currently (still) weaning away the pacifier (affectionately called, the Binkifier (binkie + pacifier = binkifier) and he is ONLY allowed to have it at bed time. So, I've stashed some extras up in the bookshelf for quick middle of the night emergencies when he has lost the one he has somewhere amongst the pillows and blankets and needs a quick fix to send him back into slumber.


I didn't think he knew where they were. Clearly, I was mistaken.


So, there I am this morning in the shower and Devon comes wandering into the bathroom, a little teary (we are not a morning people) and says "I want my binkifier...", really meaning he's still tired and wants to lay on the couch and watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with his blanket and pacifier....I mean who wouldn't? He looked so sad but cuddly in his jammies and tousled hair, but I was in the shower so what could I do? "Sorry sweetie, I can't get it for you right now."


And then when a great deal of enthusiam, raised eyebrows and a smiling stealing across his chubby cheeks, he thrusts his index finger into the air, "AHA! I have idea!" and goes toddling out of the bathroom. (We may not be morning people, but we do like to do things with a flare. The world is our stage!)


From the bathroom on the first floor I don't hear much until I hear the telltale thump, thump, thumping of someone going up the stairs.....a pause....a BIG thump from the bedroom upstairs...no crying, so I figured that was ok....another pause...and then more thump, thumping of someone coming downstairs.


After hopping out of the shower, I proceeded to the living room to survey the damage. And there is the Devonator...curled up on the couch, snuggled in his blanket AND a purple binkifier nestled in his mouth.


Upon inspection of the upstairs, here's what I pieced together.


First he went into the kitchen and got his two-step yellow step stool and hauled it upstairs. (Which is no small feat for a small...yet clearly determined...boy). Used the step stool to climb onto the dresser, then shimmied sideways over to the bookcase where he then made at least one attempt to get the binkifier from the top shelf which resulted in failure while pulling several Dr. Suess books to the floor. Upon a subsequent attempt, he successfully secured said Binkifier and probably plopped it into his mouth right then. Finally, he scooped up his blankie, returned downstairs and went into his comfort zone.


While I was bummed that the binkifier was being used in a restricted zone, I was very proud of Devon for figuring out how to get it. He's growing up so fast...what happened to my baby??

2 comments:

Lulu said...

It is amazing what these boys can figure out when they have their mind set on something. We need to get The Devonater and The Beast together for some play time :)

Dionn said...

Yes!! They would have a blast!