Monday, September 10, 2007

Back in the Saddle -- AWESOME WORKOUT WEEKEND!!

What a crazy, awesome weekend!

As some of you may have noticed, I haven't posted a race report from the Austin Tri...that's pretty much because mentally I wasn't really there. I pretty much just mailed it in...and the results definitely speak to that. Ms. Lord, however, had an AWESOME race and kicked some serious ass! I graciously bowed to her superior performance that day. Even Tiger has put a green jacket on Phil.

However, now that mom is out of the hospital and recovering well, (Granted she's staying with me at my house..and we all know how..um..challenging staying with your parents can be...) and all the boys took off to Ohio for the weekend, I had a chance to re-focus on my training and buckle down in preparation for the Half IM in October.

After a relatively restful recovery week, I was ready to go on the long run on Saturday with the Marathon group. We did 10 easy and it felt AWESOME! I actually haven't run 10 in a long time this summer so I wasn't quite sure how it would go. But we kept a nice, steady pace and talked the whole time...exactly how you are supposed to.

Paula Newby-Fraiser said one of the keys to her many successes was that she would go HARD on the hard days and easy on the easy days. It was challenging at times, but would always pay off.

Plus, I knew I needed to go easy because Sunday morning we were going to do race distance simulation which meant 56miles on the bike and 13 mile run. (In theory...) Yikes.

After a wonderful and relaxing Saturday of chillin, eating and watching football, I was ready for Sunday's adventure. Because you know with this group, you can plan all you want, but you have to be prepared to just roll with whatever happens.

So we're gathering to get ready to roll and before we even leave the parking lot, we have our first injury. JJ has difficulty getting out of his clips, crashes to the ground and proceeds to bleed profusely from his knee. OUCH. (and haven't well all done that?) After some good-natured laughs, some owie spray and a few bandaids we're ready to roll.

The course was to be the damn loop plus a bit. We were slow, but steady with plenty of stops. 3 flats, a dropped bottle and 19 gloves. (Although there is some discrepancy on the actual glove count..but we definitely think it is a record.)

The important part was that I ate...and ate...and ate...and drank...and drank...and ate...and ate... You get the idea. My biggest bonks have come when I forget to eat. I mean, really, no matter how awesome and powerful your engine is...if you have no gas, it will not go. period. Seems like a simple concept...not sure why it has taken me so long to figure that out...

By the time we started our run, it was late in the afternoon and hot as hell. I mean really, really, really hot. The plan was to run the 4-mile trail loop three times. I donned my iPod, hit my Go! playlist and started picking them up and putting them down. Found a steady grove and just went. I made sure to stop at the water stops and hydrate up. Even by mile 2, I was complete drenched in sweat. But my legs felt good so I kept going.

Not a blistering pace, by ANY stretch of the imagination..but it was steady. I just kept Kris in my sights and just kept going. Finished my first loop in 38min. Blistering, I tell ya. But the important part was that I felt GREAT! After a brief water and pit stop I set out on my second loop. Turns out only Menard and I were going for another round, so the rest of the team got a headstart on the beer cooler.

I started out a little slower on the next loop thinking I still had two more loops to go....but then about half way through I thought about everyone else being done and I didn't want them to have to wait for me to do 2 more. So I decided that I would stop after two. 8 miles after 50+ wasn't all that bad, right??

Since I was going to be finishing, I decided to flush out the tank a little on the last mile. So I hit my split when I crossed the footbridge, dialed up some good tunes and started moving. My last mile split was 7:59!! WOO HOO!!!

And again, more importantly, it felt AWESOME! I think yesterday I finally got the whole nutrition thing under control. I just need to make sure I remember what I did and do it again!!

Thanks to everyone who ran, biked, chatted and supported me over the weekend. Y'all ROCK!

1 comment:

Shorey said...

How you can do all of that and still have pep, I will never understand...you didn't even look tired. Great job, D!